6. On the Utter Nonsense of the Claim “Oh, I’m spiritual... but not religious”


We all know that person. They are not a part of organized religion because it’s too “oppressive.”  It controls people, hoards money, and judges those who are different.  This view of being spiritual but not religious can take many forms.  I believe that many adopt it out of a desire for flexibility, as a way to affirm their own innate sense of being more than simply material beings, but I believe that even more take up the practice out of a desire to “not judge” or “infringe upon someone else’s truth.”  If done correctly, it leads to foolishness such as claiming to hate religion, but love Jesus.  I will freely admit that the blame for the “spiritual but not religious” craze probably falls most squarely upon the members of the Catholic Church.  Fact of the matter is that we Catholics have not done a good enough job connecting with people and spreading the One Truth.  I plan to fix this, one blog post at a time.

Witness the Eastern spiritualite who adheres to the spiritual principles of reincarnation, karma, and meditation.  That each man is his own and on his own journey, yet somehow ethereally connected to all other men within some sort of transcendent “All.”
  

Or the more Westernized version of the same sort of idea: renegading “free thinkers” who feel that organized religion is either uncool or just so Dark Ages that they can’t be bothered with it.  But when pressed as to why they practice yoga?  (“No way brah!  Yoga is so chill.  (As they ignore the fact that yoga predates Christianity.))  The meaning and purpose of their lives are what they make of them, not what some stodgy old cleric who’s probably never even had sex or smoked pot before says they are.  They decide their own spiritual path, damnit!  Then, we have the better, but still grimace-inducing quasi-Protestant, who feels that it’s all about his “personal relationship with Jesus.”  Everything else he does is extra—it’s that really personal, lovey-dovey “happy-happy times” feeling he gets when he thinks about Jesus that really matters.  That’s what counts, not some ancient tradition, or rituals, or anything like church attendance—Heaven forbid!


The unifying, undergirding maxim of all three of these “spiritual but not religious” folks’ respective iterations (and I am sure that there are many, many more) is quite nicely summed up with a reference to pop culture.  Will Ferrell, playing candidate Cam Brady in The Campaign, in response to the question, “Is it true that you have not been to church in over nine months?” had this to say: “My relationship to God is not measured by taking attendance.”

I’d like to press the point a bit, if I may: is what Ferrell is saying here really true?  I know it sounds really good and appealing.  God is everywhere!  God loves and accepts all people!  Religion divides and controls people!  Boo religion!  It’s icky and the leaders just want to hoard as much money as possible and rape altar boys and yada-yada-yada.  We’ve heard it all before.  And guess what guys?  I am quick to agree with him on this one!  (Shocker?  Maybe; depends on how well you know me, I guess.)  My relationship with God is certainly not measured by how often I attend church….  Except when it is.  Said another way: if I have a true relationship with God, then I will be at church, as paradoxical as that sounds.


Allow me to explain.  All this “spiritual but not religious” jargon is akin to a man who, when asked if he loves his mother, says, “Of course I love my mother: I think about her all the time.”  When asked how often he calls her, he replies, “You know, I would say that it’s usually when I have nothing better to do.”  When asked how often he visits her, he replies, “Well, maybe on Christmas, but that’s about it; she knows I love her, though.”

We would all cringe at these answers, would we not?  It is almost instinctive that we reject this person’s responses about his actions concerning his love for his mother.  Why is this so?  It is because, like it or not, ideas have consequences, and this man is not showing, by his actions, that he loves his mother as much as his lip-service is claiming he does.  It is a very simple concept.  My ideas about the world, the things in it, the people I am involved with, all have consequences.  If I believe that there are such things as shoe-upside-down hobgoblins who will steal my shoes in the dead of night if I leave them upside down, and I want to keep my shoes, well, I am going to make damn well sure that my shoes stay right-side-up, right?  If I believe that trees can talk, and I want to talk to trees, well, I am going to spend my time trying to communicate with trees, right?  And if I believe that my friend is mad at me, and I care to have a good relationship with my friend, then I am going to try to figure out how best to make amends with my friend, right?

In the same way, if I believe that there is a God, and I wish to have a connection with Him/have a relationship with Him/be in communion with Him, then I will strive to do that-which-will-permit-me-to-do-this-best, right?  It is true that He is omnipresent—He is everywhere.  I get that when you tip your waitress a little extra, or volunteer at a homeless shelter, or even when you just meditate or pray in your room, that He is present.  This is not news, people.  But, from a Catholic perspective, there is a radical difference between being at Mass and being anywhere else, because, at Mass, God makes Himself present to us in a unique and special way.

Let’s run through it really fast.  Let’s just say that there was an institution that purported to have been founded by God’s Son.  Let’s just say it also purported to have never fallen into true error in an official capacity (nor will it ever).  Let’s just say it’s been around for, oh, just about 2,000 years now (ahem, oldest institution on the face of the earth *cough* and still chuggin’ along, I might add *cough*).  Let’s just say it also kick-started the Scientific Revolution.  Let’s also add in the fact that this institution claims that you can (and should!) eat the flesh of the ever-living God-man, Christ, and drink His most Precious Blood EVERY. DAMN. DAY!  (If you so choose, of course.)  And this institution cares so much about this practice that it actually requires its faithful to come every Sunday to partake in the meal (provided they are properly disposed, of course).  Now, I’m not saying that those who are “spiritual but not religious” can’t connect in some meaningful sense with God, or be saved, etc. etc., but if there were an institution that claimed all this, wouldn’t you be in the least bit curious about it?  Wouldn’t you at least seriously investigate it?  And at most, be a part of it wholeheartedly?


In case you haven’t figured out that the Catholic Church was the glorious subject of that last paragraph, I will make it painfully obvious: yes, I was referring to the Catholic Church.  And let me just add that going to Mass is not some requirement to be checked off of our proverbial cosmic to-do lists on our way to salvation (or at least it shouldn’t be).  Mass is a fundamentally relational activity.  A man is more in a relationship with God at Mass than he is anywhere else, doing anything else.  In fact, he is as in communion with God at Mass as he ever can be here on Earth, this side of death.

So the next time you run across that “spiritual but not religious” person, ask them if they take pleasure in depriving themselves of the activity that most fully places them in communion with that which they claim to be seeking—God.  Ask them if they regularly settle.  Because that’s what “I’m spiritual but not religious” means: “I’m settling.”  It means, “I know of this other activity which can satisfy my desire for God better, but I won’t partake in it, just because, well, because rules (or fill in your particular pet peeve here).”  Sounds pretty nonsensical to me.  How about for you guys?

0 comments: